Gum disease is the most common cause of tooth loss. On the whole, gum disease can be prevented. Here are 9 key facts to prevent gum disease:
- Always clean your teeth twice a day
- Clean in between the teeth using floss or inter dental brushes daily- you will be amazed how much builds up on a daily basis
- Visit the dentist and dental hygienist twice a year minimum. If you have gum disease, quarterly visits may be required.
- Do not smoke- smoking is just a big a cause of gum disease as poor oral hygiene
- Use additional aids to keep motivated. Plaque disclosing tablets will highlight new and old plaque which will show you where you are misssing
- New devices such as Philips Airfloss Pro can be extremely useful if you hate flossing
- For troublesome areas, you may need special brushes. For example, dental implants may require small headed tufted brushes to clean deeper with the the gum sulcus.
- Dental x rays will show bone levels around teeth. These should be taken every 3-4 years as a screening method and more regularly should you have a higher susceptibility.
- Genetics can play a part. Ask you parents if they suffer from gum disease. If so, more regular appointments may be required.
If you are worried about gum disease, please contact us. We have specialised screening techniques to analyse your risk and provide bespoke treatment to stabilise any disease.