Our case of the month for October is one which involves a fully customised crown
. What is this, you may ask. Well, we mainly advise a fully customised crown for single front teeth where the aesthetics are incredibly important. Essentially, this technique is the very best we can offer in terms of aesthetic dentistry.
The process involves:
- Full planning and diagnostic wax up if required.
- Initial shade testing at the laboratory to ensure the base shades are all correct
- Preparation of the front tooth and records. We now use intra oral scanning which eliminates the need for messy dental impressions.
- Placing a temporary crown made from a mixture of acrylic and a resin.
- Trying in the crown prior to any final customisation to ensure that the fit, margins, emergence profile, embrasure spaces, contact points and bite is all fine.
- Placing the temporary with a soft cement and then a journey to the laboratory straight after the try in.
- Full customisation of the crown until you are 100% happy with the overall aesthetics.
- Straight back to the practice for fitting.
Although this may seem a long winded approach for one single tooth, we can assure you it well worth the effort. After all, it is your front tooth!
Here are some photos of a recent case:
Front tooth crown which has a dark line due to gum recession. The underlying tooth is dead and very discoloured.
Try in stage of the new crown. The dark line has disappeared and the overall contours are excellent. Note how the crown is in the unfinished state.
Fully customised crown in situ. Fully finished with a natural and aesthetic outcome. Now the adjacent tooth needs replacing!
If you have a front tooth crown that needs replacing; think fully customised. You will not regret it.
Treatment completed by Dr Nissit Patel. Laboratory work completed by Luke Barnett.
Photos are the sole property of Dr Nissit Patel and may not be reproduced for any reason.