Our case of the month for September is one which involves dental implants to replace missing back teeth.
It is crucial to replace missing teeth at the back for a number of reasons. These involve:
1. To restore function. Without back teeth or molar teeth, it is very hard to chew food.
2. To prevent unwanted movement of the adjacent or opposing teeth. This could have a detrimental effect on the occlusion (bite) and cause major dental issues for the future.
3. To prevent the jaw bone from shrinking which can result in causing the soft tissue to shrink.
4. Aesthetics. Having gaps at the back of the mouth can still be seen. Dark space is not attractive.
5. For general well being, physical and psychological.
In our case, the missing teeth were two molar teeth on the upper right hand side. Please view a photograph:
A large gap at the back. Dental implants have been placed and are ready to restore with dental implant crowns.
The back teeth have been replaced with screw retained dental implant crowns. Our patient can now chew again !
It is evident of the impact that dental implants can have. Without them, we only have the dreaded denture to replace such a gap. This was not an option!
The dental implants were restored using the Atlantis system which is a fantastic CAD-CAM solution for restoring dental implants. Dr Nissit Patel is an experienced user of the Atlantis system and highly recommends the system.
This case was completed by Dr Nissit Patel and the photographs were taken by Dr Nissit Patel. Any reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are interested in replacing missing teeth with dental implants
, please contact us.