Breaking news! The General Dental Council have just announced that direct access to dental hygienists will now be available from the 1st May. This means that the general public can see a dental hygienist without having to be referred by a dentist.
1. This will undoubtedly improve access to dental care to those who are nervous of the dentist or feel that finance is an issue.
2. Direct access gives the patient freedom to book dental hygiene treatment when desired rather than when advised.
3. Patients who travel for work constantly or are away from their local dentist or hygienist can access a dental hygienist anywhere in the country without a referral from their dentist.
1. It is critical that oral health assessments and general dental examinations are undertaken by a dentist on a regular basis.
2. Direct access should not bypass the dental examination as the most important dental health screen.
3. As long as there is still a team approach to the dental care of patients, there are no real disadvantages!
DENTAL HYGIENE AT PROGRESSIVE DENTISTRY
We will now offer direct access to our patients and the general public on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday (selected dates) immediately. This will be when a dentist is present to make the referral until 1st May.
WHY DENTAL HYGIENE IS SO IMPORTANT
Good dental hygiene is the first step to good oral health. It is as simple as that. Plaque bacteria is the main causative factor for dental disease. Elimination of dental plaque and improving oral hygiene regimes will enhance prevention of disease. Prevention is, of course, better than cure!
Why wait until May? Call us today and book your dental hygiene appointment.