BACK TO SCHOOL! TIPS ON CHILDREN'S ORAL HEALTH
It is that time of year again- back to school. The summer holidays are over and the new school year begins. Oh well, never mind, it will be half term soon!
Here are some useful tips on maintaining your child's oral health for the new school year:
1. Avoid sugary drinks. Fizzy drinks are especially bad. Did you know that a can of cola contains 4 tablespoons of sugar. Yes, that is correct- tablespoons not teaspoons.
2. Avoid snacking on processed snacks such as the weird and wonderful shaped crisps. These can be very sticky and difficult to remove. They also contain starch. A recipe for tooth decay.
3. Brush twice a day for 2 minutes. A timer is useful.
4. Use a fluoride mouthwash after brushing especially at night time. There are many children's versions available. They key is not to swallow- gargle for 30 second and spit. Do not rinse with water afterwards.
5. Use plaque disclosing tablets. These are ideal at night to avoid a pink mouth at school!
6. Visit the dentist and hygienist twice a year.
At Progressive Dentistry, we offer FREE children's examinations with a registered parent. Developing good dental habits at a young age is vital- prevention is better than cure.